I’m embarking on my second 21-Day Sugar Detox™. The first time I did this sugar detox and the first time I did the Whole 30 it was much more challenging than I anticipated. This time around I’m prepared and am sharing some tips to help you get through it with ease:
5 tips for getting through the 21-Day Sugar Detox
- Prepare yourself mentally. Set your mind to the end goal – completing the detox. Go in with the mindset that you are going to successfully complete the program. Don’t think about slip ups, don’t think that when you go to XXX event you will allow yourself just one treat. It’s 21 days. Set your mind to the task and follow through.
- Prepare your kitchen.
- A week before you start go through your fridge and pantry. If you have items that are not okay to eat during the detox get rid of them. You don’t have to throw everything away – freeze the perishables, move pantry items out of sight. If you can see it you’ll likely be tempted by it.
- Review the food guide and recipes, then make a shopping list. Go shopping at a day or two before you start and buy enough to get you through (at least) the first few days.
- Stock up on your ‘go to’ foods – the foods that you love, that don’t require a lot of preparation and that you could eat every day in a pinch. I keep eggs, avocados, greens, cooking fat (ghee, lard and coconut oil) and seasonal produce on hand for quick, simple and filling meals.
- Cook ahead of time. Set aside some time the day before you start the detox for food prep. Plan your meals for the first 3 days and cook them. Do the egg muffins sound good? Make a batch and put it in your fridge. If you absolutely LOVE egg muffins, make a double batch and freeze them. Trust me on this one. The first few days of the detox can be tough and the last thing you are going to want to do is spend time cooking. My first time, all I wanted to do was sleep!
- Find a support system. Do the detox with a friend or family member. Join the Facebook group. Sign up for the emails. Trade advice, recipes, vent, rant, share pictures, provide support when someone else is going through a rough patch…it is much easier doing the detox with support system than doing it alone.
- Determine your ‘why’. Why are you doing the detox? What do you hope to get out of it? Write this down and keep it handy. If you find yourself struggling during the 21 days read it to remind yourself why you started this journey.
If you have more tips and tricks share them in the comments.