Easy, grain-free and gluten-free peanut butter granola is a delicious make-ahead breakfast or snack.
I’m all in when it comes to meal prep. Whether it’s prepping individual ingredients or a complete meal, I find it convenient to have healthy, delicious, and filling options in my pantry or fridge after a long day when I’m too tired to cook from scratch so I’m not going to take-out.
I’m not a morning person, my energy and creativity is at peak in the afternoon, so having a simple breakfast already prepped to get me going in the morning works for my life. Granola is one of those items that I make ahead of time in a big batch. It’s perfect on coconut yogurt, with almond or oat milk, to top a smoothie bowl or even just as a snack.
This peanut butter granola recipe is sweetened with dates, and has kaniwa for some extra crunch and protein.
Why this granola is so good
- Kaniwa contains all nine essential amino acids (complete protein) and is a source of complex carbohydrates.
- Sweetened with dates, this granola recipe does not contain any added sugars.
- Kaniwa remains slightly crunchy for some added texture.
- This recipe uses peanut butter, but you can swap out any nut or seed butter based on your preference.
- Get creative! Try different nuts, seeds and dried fruit to vary the flavour of your granola.
- I’ve made this recipe with prunes in place of the date paste and it’s just as delicious. I love the combination of prunes and peanut butter.
How to serve Kaniwa Granola
- Top your morning yogurt with this granola for a delicious crunch.
- Serve with almond, coconut or oat milk. Hot or cold, it works just as well either way.
- Add some granola to a smoothie bowl for some added texture.
- Grab a handful for a quick & easy snack.
Peanut Butter Kaniwa Granola
- Mixing bowl
- Small sauce pan
- Sheet pan
- Silicone baking liner or parchment paper
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 cups rolled oats gluten-free
- ½ cup Kaniwa cooked
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds raw
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds raw
- ¼ cup date paste
- ¼ cup peanut butter natural, unsweetened
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- ¼ cup dried, unsweetened fruit
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Add peanut butter, date paste and coconut oil to a small sauce pan on low heat. Gently stir and warm until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir to incorporate, making sure to get all dry ingredients coated.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Spread granola onto the lined sheet pan and press down to compact.
- Bake at 275F for 15 minutes. The granola will start to brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and mix the granola so it cooks evenly. Return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let cool.
- Break up the granola into pieces.
- Store granola in a sealed jar at room temperature.