I used to think of gummies as treats. Sweet and brightly coloured, sometimes shaped like fish, berries or bears, and always sold in the candy aisle. Back in the day when I ate these on a regular basis I would never have believed that I'd be making my own version that is actually good for me. Then I discovered gelatin.
Gelatin, honey & lime and ta-da! Home made gummies!
When I was a kid my mom used to mix up a batch of honey & lime and tell us to have a spoonful every day to help ward off colds. With the antibacterial effects of honey and high Vitamin C content of lime, she may have been on to something. Each day before school I'd head to the fridge and grab the beehive-shaped squeeze bottle to have my daily dose. On one particular day instead of using a spoon I told my older brother to just squeeze some directly into my mouth. Silly me. With my head thrown back, he of course squeezed waaayy too much into my mouth and I ended up with honey & lime streaming down the sides of my face and some of it ended up in the wrong place and came out of my nose!
What is gelatin?
Why consume gelatin?
There are many health benefits* to gelatin including:
- Joint health. The amino acids aid in preventing weakness and degeneration in joints. The anti-inflammatory properties helps to reduce pain & inflammation.
- Contains keratin which supports skin, hair and nail growth.
- Good source of dietary collagen which is great for improving the elasticity of skin.
- Aids in digestion as it naturally binds to water, helping food move through the digestive tract.
Honey & Lime Gummies
- 2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz honey preferably unpasteurized
- 2 oz warm water
- 2 tbsps grass-fed gelatin
- Mix honey and lime juice together.
- Pour powdered gelatin into the honey & lime mixture and stir. Let sit to bloom, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add warm water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove from molds and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.