Chocolate shell is the perfect easy topping for ice cream or other frozen treats. Just a few simple ingredients and you’ll have your own homemade chocolate topping that hardens quickly.Jump to Recipe
It’s summer! This hot weather makes me happy – barefoot, sundresses, patios, sunshine. I love all of it.
These days every time I walk to the subway I pass by the ice cream truck sitting in front of the park – chocolate or vanilla swirly ice cream, even better a mix of both! For an extra bit of indulgence you can get your ice cream dipped in chocolate that hardens to a nice chocolately shell. Mmmmm… While a cold ice cream cone on a hot day is tempting I have no idea what they use to make the ice cream nor the chocolate shell, so instead I made a delicious frozen treat at home from simple, whole ingredients.
This homemade chocolate shell can be poured over ice cream, frozen yogurt or you can use it to dip frozen fruit like I did. The coconut oil hardens when it comes into contact with the cold, creating that nice hard shell.
Home made Chocolate Shell
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp honey you can also use maple syrup, agave or coconut nectar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Dip frozen fruit into the chocolate shell and set aside to let harden, or pour over your favourite frozen treat.
- If you have any left over store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Now go make some and enjoy your frozen treats while soaking up some Vitamin D in the sun!