These easy matcha green tea popsicles are lightly sweet and made with ripe avocados for a creamy texture.
I've been eating avocados since I was a child. It's a regular thing on a Caribbean table, and we'd often have a slice or two of ripe avocado as a side with breakfast. My family is from Trinidad where avocados are abundant, and it would not be unusual to have an avocado tree in your yard. How amazing would it be to have tree ripened avocados anytime, instead of those hard, unripened fruit from the grocery store?
Besides guacamole I had never used avocado as an ingredient in a recipe and certainly never thought about avocado in a sweet dish, but two things changed that:
- When I was planning a trip to Morocco a friend told me that I had to try an avocado smoothie in Marrakesh. I didn't have one in Morocco but inspired by the idea, I tried it when I got home.
- In nutrition school my fellow students seemingly could not get enough avocados. It was from another student that I learned about avocado chocolate pudding. It's really good and if you like creamy chocolate pudding, you'll probably really like it.
Types of Avocados
There are different varieties of avocados, and the two most common found here in Toronto are the Florida (sometimes called Slimcado) and Hass.
The one I grew up eating is the Florida or Slimcado, with a smooth bright green skin. Sometimes described as more watery than the Hass, this avocado has less fat content and to me has a more silky texture. The Hass avocado is smaller, with a dark green nubbly skin and the flesh is denser and more buttery. Both kinds of avocados are healthy and delicious.
Health Benefits of Avocado
Avocados contain heart-healthy, monounsaturated fat, fiber, potassium, Vitamin B5 & B6, Vitamin C, Folate and more. Find out more about the health benefits of avocados here.
Avocado Matcha Popsicles
- 2 Hass avocados (ripe)
- 1 - 2 tbsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- ¼ cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 - 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Cut avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the popsicles molds, ¾ full and add the popsicle sticks.
- Freezer overnight.