Enjoy the flavours of coconut and cardamom in this sweet frozen treat. Delicious as a snack or dessert, it's super easy to make at home with just a handful of ingredients.
The flavours of coconut and cardamom pair well together in this easy, delicious popsicle. This recipe is based on coconut block, a frozen treat I grew up eating. I'm not sure if coconut block is a Trinidadian thing or if it's made all over the Caribbean, but it has a similar flavour profile to homemade coconut ice cream with coconut, sweetener (usually condensed milk) and nutmeg or essence. It's made in an ice cube tray hence the name 'block'. The frozen blocks tend to have an icy consistency, and without a popsicle stick they can be a bit messy to eat.
The coconut block and homemade coconut ice cream I grew up with started off with whole dried coconut grated and blended with water to create the creamy coconut milk. To keep it simple, my recipe uses canned coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk found in tetra packs in the cooking or baking section of the grocery store.
Instead of essence, vanilla or nutmeg and condensed milk I'm using a brown sugar simple syrup simmered with green cardamom pods to give that slightly spiced flavour. You can switch this up and use vanilla or a cinnamon simple syrup for a different flavour profile.
What you need to make coconut cardamom popsicles
- A popsicle mold with sticks. If your mold doesn't have sticks then you'll also need popsicle sticks.
- Coconut cream
- Liquid sweetener like simple syrup, maple syrup or agave. This recipe uses a rich brown sugar cardamom simple syrup made with a 2:1 ratio of brown sugar to water. For every cup of water you can use 5 - 7 whole green cardamom pods cracked open simmered in the simple syrup. Leave the cardamom pods in the syrup as it cools to steep, then strain out the bits of cardamom before using.
Coconut Cardamom Popsicles
- 1 Popsicle Mold
- 1 Small sauce pan
- 1 small cooking spoon
- 6 popsicle sticks Optional if your popsicle mold does not come with sticks
- 1 glass measuring cup
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup brown sugar cardamom simple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Add 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk to a glass measuring cup
- Add in ½ cup of simple syrup and salt. Give the mixture a good stir to combine.
- Pour the coconut mixture into a the popsicle molds, leaving a bit of space at the top to allow the mixture to expand slightly in the freezer.
- Add in the popsicle sticks and the popsicle mold cover.
- Put into the freezer on a flat surface and freeze overnight.
- To serve, remove the popsicle mold from the freezer and let it stand on the counter for a few minutes. Remove a popsicle from the mold and enjoy!